Last week I was having a really hard time ordering the categories in this blog’s header as WordPress only seems to allow to order by name or by ID. That’s why I came up with the Category Order plugin.
The Category Order plugin allows you to easily reorder your categories the way you want via drag and drop. It doesn’t require a special widget or anything, just install and reorder.
This plugin requires that you use at least WordPress 2.3, although it has only been tested on WordPress 2.5.1
- Download the plugin and expand it.
- Copy the ‘category-order.php’ file into your plugins folder (wp-content/plugins/).
- Login into the WordPress administration area and go to the Plugins page.
- Locate the Category Order plugin and click on the activate link
- That’s it, now you can go to Manage » Category Order and reorder the categories the way you want. *In WordPress 3.1, go to your Dashboard and drop down the Posts menu in the left-hand sidebar. Somewhere on that list will be Category Order. Click that, then drag and drop your categories. You must click the Order Categories button to save your changes before you leave the page (even if you’re just clicking More » to move to a page of subcategories).
- If you use wp_list_categories(), make sure you don’t specify an order (e.g. wp_list_categories(’orderby=count’);).
- 1.0.3 - If no order is specified, categories are ordered by name
- 1.0.2 - Fixed a problem related to PHP 4
- 1.0.1 - Fixed a problem where the plugin wouldn’t work properly if you had installed WordPress in a subdirectory
- 1.0 - Initial Release
Support further plugin development by making a small donation: