WordPress Guy

WordPress Guy designs and develops WordPress themes and plugins. WordPress Guy teaches you WordPress stuff.

Last week I was having a really hard time ordering the categories in this blog’s header as WordPress only seems to allow to order by name or by ID. That’s why I came up with the Category Order plugin.

Description

Requirements

This plugin requires that you use at least WordPress 2.3, although it has only been tested on WordPress 2.5.1

Download

Category Order 1.0.3

Installation

1. Download the plugin and expand it.
  2. Copy the ‘category-order.php’ file into your plugins folder (wp-content/plugins/).
  3. Login into the WordPress administration area and go to the Plugins page.
  4. Locate the Category Order plugin and click on the activate link
  5. That’s it, now you can go to Manage » Category Order and reorder the categories the way you want. *In WordPress 3.1, go to your Dashboard and drop down the Posts menu in the left-hand sidebar. Somewhere on that list will be Category Order. Click that, then drag and drop your categories. You must click the Order Categories button to save your changes before you leave the page (even if you’re just clicking More » to move to a page of subcategories).
  6. If you use wp_list_categories(), make sure you don’t specify an order (e.g. wp_list_categories(’orderby=count’);).

Version History

• 1.0.3 - If no order is specified, categories are ordered by name
  • 1.0.2 - Fixed a problem related to PHP 4
  • 1.0.1 - Fixed a problem where the plugin wouldn’t work properly if you had installed WordPress in a subdirectory
  • 1.0 - Initial Release

Donate

Support further plugin development by making a small donation:

donate

Blog reactions

Comments

• Oliver
    June 15th, 2011 at 3:20 pm

This plugin does not work on 3.1.3

• June 22nd, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Works great on 3.1.3 but you need to go to POSTS and then CATEGORY ORDER to reorder your categories.

Thanks for creating an awesome plugin!

• ... Category Orderカテゴリーの順序を変えるプラグイン  ...

• ... morning. I noticed that WordPress doesn’t allow you to order your categories, a quick Google found Category Order which works great, and has a nice Ajax interface. Tagged as: Website, Wordpress Leave a comment ...

• August 9th, 2011 at 6:58 am

I needed to add the orderby=order parameter to the wp_list_categories function call in order to get it to work. For instance:

wp_list_categories(’hide_empty=1&show_count=0&orderby=order&depth=1&title_li=Categories’);

• ... The Category Order plugin allows you to easily reorder your categories the way you want via drag and drop. Версия 1.0.3 | Автор: Wessley Roche | Перейти на страницу плагина ...

• ... Category Order ...

• August 26th, 2011 at 7:17 pm

I can’t get this plugin to work. It used to work but has stopped. I can’t sort the categories by moving them in the Category Order tab. Any help would be appreciated. I am using version 1.0.3 in wordpress 3.2.1.

• Peter Roberts
    September 1st, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Hi,

I am using your category plugin however sub categories (parent) on the homepage appear and normal categories. Basically I want the categories to look like this in the right side catagory menu:

For example i want the categories to look like this:

Fashion
    - Men
    - Women

At the moment it looks like

Fashion
    Women
    Men

Thanks,

Peter

• Peter Roberts
    September 1st, 2011 at 5:02 pm

ignore comment, sorted :)

• hans
    September 5th, 2011 at 6:29 am

Muy bueno este plugin, tenia mi categoria ordenado alfabeticamente y me reusaba a cambiar via codigo hasta que encontre este plugin, ahora puedo poder mis categoria en el orden que quiera, gracias..

• September 7th, 2011 at 12:36 am

Thank you very much.
    Worked like a charm on 3.2.1.

• Kyle
    September 14th, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Great Plugin! Easy to use, straight forward and one click activation!! Thank you so much!

• fatih
    September 16th, 2011 at 6:04 pm

i hate wordpress beacause i wass searching a plugin to chang my category order and until 1 hours searching i found 2 or 3 plugins that changes my category but i was not working..
    and now searching on google and about 5 sec i found this website. I LOVE GOOGLE ! :p

• September 18th, 2011 at 3:33 pm

If you are looking for this plugin to use it with custom post types and theirs taxonomy you’ll be able to find it here: https://github.com/lukaszklis/CategoryOrder

• September 30th, 2011 at 11:46 am

Eline sağlık mükemmel eklenti

• Dan
    October 12th, 2011 at 11:52 pm

Try this plugin instead as it’s much better Category Order - Taxonomy Terms Order, it will allow to sort categories and other taxonomies terms. No theme code change is required as it will do the query update on the fly.

• ... 23) Category Order- The Category Order plugin allows you to easily reorder your categories the way you want via drag and drop. It doesn’t require a special widget or anything, just install and reorder. ...

• Revan
    November 21st, 2011 at 9:27 am

Great plugin …. Thanks.

• January 6th, 2012 at 2:03 am

Excellent! Perfect plugin for WP 3.3.1.
    After two days and many installed / uninstalled plugins, finaly great solution for my Seconday menu - category & sub-category ordering.
    Big compliment! This work is valid for donation!
    :-D

• January 25th, 2012 at 9:49 pm

... The Category Order plugin allows you to easily reorder your categories the way you want via drag and drop. Version 1.0.3 | Von Wessley Roche | Besuch die Plugin-Seite ...

• ... el plugin Category Order podemos ordenar las categorías y subcategorías pinchando y arrastrando en el orden que queramos ...

• February 9th, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Hi, Thank you very much for your plugin. I know that your plugin is very useful if you are using it for Wordpress Categories. I am using Jigoshop for my product categories and would like to re-order my product categories. I tried your plugin and it will not work. Can you tell me if there a way to do so like changing a code somewhere? Thank you.

• February 25th, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Thanks a lot!!! Great solution for the ordering problem! You rescue me)))

• April 17th, 2012 at 11:33 pm

BUG

I moved category to new parent - upper level. To make less steps to dig for users.
    And those categories (from child category that was deleted) can not be sorted. UI moves them but not the web site.

• June 24th, 2013 at 12:49 am

I have fixed the bug !!!
      Bug in line 58 - just replace with this:
      if(is_object($category) && $category->term_id == $id && ($terms[$n]->order == 99999) ){

BUG DESCRIPTION:
      if you move category to other parent and delete the previous parent category (like shift up a few categories to upper level) then plugin save in option categoryid twice (the new one + the old one) and the original sorting algorithm use the last one. BUT in wp-admin it seems ok.
      So i add extra condition ($terms[$n]->order == 99999) which makes sure that sorting order sets only once.

• ... Category Order Wordpressカテゴリの順番を自分の好きなように変えられるプラグイン。地味すぎですが、何気に気になるところをさくっと解決できます。 ...

• ... の引数の &orderby=id を削除しただけ。理由は、私のブログでは Category Order というプラグインでカテゴリの順序を並べ替えていますが、get_terms() ...

• July 19th, 2012 at 10:49 pm

... Category Order » Řadí jednotlivé kategorie tak, jak mi to vyhovuje (standardně je to abecedně). ...

• September 2nd, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Really awesome plugin boss !
    You are great !

• September 15th, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Yes, very nice plug-ins

• September 17th, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Hurrah! Finally I got a webpage from where I can really obtain valuable data concerning my study and knowledge.

• September 30th, 2012 at 4:09 am

是不是新版WP不能用了, 这个插件。我把WP升级后,就用不来了。

• November 19th, 2012 at 5:53 am

I do not know whether it’s just me or if perhaps everybody else experiencing issues with your blog. It appears like some of the text within your posts are running off the screen. Can someone else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them too? This could be a issue with my browser because I’ve had
    this happen previously. Kudos

• December 27th, 2012 at 4:00 am

... -CATEGORY ORDER: ¿Problemas para ajustar las puñeteras categorías en la plantilla que estés utilizando? Pues se acabaron: con este plugin las colocarás justo en el orden que TÚ quieras, no en el que quiera la plantilla ...

• February 27th, 2013 at 10:26 pm

... Category Order ...

• February 27th, 2013 at 10:29 pm

... Category Order ...

• March 14th, 2013 at 8:58 pm

Superb blog! Do you have any recommendations for aspiring writers?
    I’m hoping to start my own blog soon but I’m a little lost on everything.

Would you propose starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option?
    There are so many options out there that I’m completely overwhelmed .. Any tips? Kudos!

• March 18th, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Thanks dude. You saved my life

• Alex
    April 17th, 2013 at 10:15 am

It works fine with get_categories() but not with get_the_category(). Someone knows why?

• April 17th, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Hello there!
    Nice plugin, does it work with multisite mode?

• May 1st, 2013 at 5:23 pm

magnificent publish, very informative. I’m wondering why the other specialists of this sector do not realize this. You must continue your writing. I am sure, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!

• ... site, but originally, categories were only ordered alphabetically on simple blogging sites. The category order plug-in allows you to easily reorder categories simply by dragging and dropping ...

• May 26th, 2013 at 2:30 am

Hey! Quick question that’s entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My weblog looks weird when browsing from my iphone 4. I’m trying to find a
    template or plugin that might be able to resolve this problem.
    If you have any suggestions, please share. Cheers!

• June 4th, 2013 at 11:08 am

nice plugin.. its works well with couponpress theme..

• ... 公式サイト:Category Order コメント:ブログ記事のカテゴリー順序を簡単に入れ替えするためのプラグイン。デフォルトで入れててよと言いたくなる。 ...

• ... 1.「Category Order」をダウンロード プラグインフォルダにUPロードして有効化 または ...

• October 18th, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Inteligator is the name of the service which will help you in this journey.

• October 21st, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I use wp_list_categories() to get the list of all the categories and generate the navigation bar. Is there a way to order this categories in a particular order other than alphabetical ordering.

• November 2nd, 2013 at 5:10 am

Hello,
    My developer has used your plug-in on the site and it is perfectly good. I only have 1 issue:
    I have a tab that orders the ports by Date, name, …. The problem is the order by Date is Ascending. I need it to be Descending. Could you please tell me how I can do it and where I need to change?

Thanks a lot

• November 30th, 2013 at 12:42 am

Spot on with this write-up, I actually believe that this
    website needs a great deal more attention.
    I’ll probably be returning to read more, thanks for
    the information!